Knowing the approximate lifespan of your water heater can help you prepare for a replacement. Replacing your water heater near the end of its lifespan is a great way to avoid system failure.
Below are factors that you must take into consideration before determining how long your water heater might last:
- Is it a tank or tankless model? – Tank water heaters tend to last between 10 and 15 years while tankless water heaters tend to last between 15 and 20 years.
- Do you have hard water? – The quality of the water in your home can affect the health of your water heater. Hard water can shorten the lifespan of your water heater by up to 2 years.
- How often do you use it? – The more heavily you rely on your water heater, the shorter its lifespan will be. Typically, larger households tend to go through water heaters faster because they simply have a greater demand for hot water.
- Do you maintain it? – A lack of maintenance can significantly reduce the lifespan of your water heater. Experts recommend having your system inspected and/or flushed at least once a year to ensure it is functioning as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Where is your system located? – Water heaters that are installed in areas where the temperatures tend to drop lower (such as the basement or garage), must work harder to heat your water. This puts more wear and tear on the system and contributes to premature system failure. Installing a water heater in a temperature-controlled area can extend its lifespan.
How Do I Know When It Is Time for a New Water Heater?
If your water heater is nearing the end of its lifespan, we recommend becoming familiar with the signs that it is on its way out the door. That way, you can have it replaced before your family is left without hot water.
Signs that your water heater needs to be replaced include:
- You never have enough hot water
- You don’t have any hot water
- There are bits of rust in your water
- Your water heater storage tank is leaking
- There was an unexpected spike in your utility bills
- Your water has a strange odor or color
- Your water heater is making loud noises
- Your water is never quite hot enough
If you suspect your water heater needs to be repaired or replaced, we recommend scheduling an inspection sooner rather than later.
Call Parks Heating, Cooling & Plumbing
As the most trusted name in plumbing, there are no problems too big or too small for Parks Heating, Cooling & Plumbing to take on. Backed by 40+ years of service excellence, our plumbers are skilled in diagnosing and repairing all types of water heaters, including tank and tankless models.
In addition to water heater repair, we offer the following plumbing services:
- Water heater installation
- Water softeners
- Water treatment
- Drain cleaning
- Plumbing fixtures
- Leak detection
Choose Parks Heating, Cooling & Plumbing for water heater repair, replacement, and installation, and rest assured we always get the job done right the first time around.
Please call (704) 313-1443 or contact us online to schedule a water heater inspection. We look forward to serving you!