Factors That Can Impact Your Furnace’s Lifespan
Your furnace’s lifespan can be determined based on a handful of factors, including:
- Maintenance: Routine furnace maintenance is crucial when it comes to maximizing your system’s performance, efficiency, and lifespan. A lack of maintenance can cause extensive wear and tear, damaged components, and a system breakdown.
- Size: Your furnace needs to be appropriately sized for your home. A furnace that is too small will exert far too much energy trying to heat your home, which can result in significant wear and tear, frequent repairs, and premature system failure.
- Installation: An improperly designed or installed furnace can cause a host of problems, including weak airflow, poor drainage, uneven heating, or insufficient heating. All of these problems can contribute to a system breakdown.
- Thermostat settings: It is important to keep your thermostat set between 60 °F and 80 °F. Keeping it set too high or too low can put a lot of unnecessary strain on your system and contribute to a breakdown.
How to Extend Your Furnace’s Lifespan
Your furnace is a large investment, so it is crucial that you take good care of it. By taking the time to properly maintain your system and keep it in top shape, you can significantly expand its lifespan, reduce the risk of repairs, lower your energy bills, reduce your energy consumption, satisfy your manufacturer’s warranty, and enjoy peace of mind knowing your system is prepared to keep your family warm for years to come.
Below are tips for keeping your furnace running better for longer:
- Checking and replacing your air filter every 1-3 months
- Keeping your air registers open during furnace operation
- Making sure there is nothing blocking your air registers (i.e., curtains, dressers, etc.)
- Clearing the area around your furnace to keep flammable objects away
- Setting your thermostat correctly
- Having a professional repair any issues as soon as they crop up
- Scheduling professional maintenance every fall
Professional maintenance is incredibly important. During your appointment, your technician inspects each part of your system, cleans dirty components, lubricates motor parts, tightens loose electrical connections, and runs a full safety and performance check. This enables them to identify and resolve any potential problems before they have a chance to cause damage to your furnace. Preventing major problems with your system is a great way to keep it running better for longer.
Call Parks Heating, Cooling & Plumbing Today!
Here at Parks Heating, Cooling & Plumbing, your comfort is our top priority. As the most trusted name in HVAC, you can count on us to provide the exceptional heating services you deserve. If you would like assistance with keeping your furnace in top shape, we are here to help.
When you join our Premium Partner Plan, you can enjoy:
- Regular heating, air conditioning, and plumbing inspections and tune-ups
- Discounts on labor
- Guaranteed service, day or night
- Priority scheduling
- Top-quality parts
- Waived trip charges
Simply put, you can’t afford not to take great care of your system. Turn to Parks Heating, Cooling & Plumbing for furnace maintenance, and rest easy knowing that your system will be in top shape for as long as possible.